Modern Collectibles: The Terminator and T2 German Mediabooks

This set is one of my all time favorite collectibles, certainly one of my faves among modern collectibles. It is also the only modern collectible that groups or unifies the original two movies with its design. 

Both The Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgment Day were released on 2019, although in different months (T2 was released first and in larger quantities) by a German company called, appropriately, "'84". They release book-like, padded versions of film classics with their own artworks, anything from The Warriors to RoboCop. 

Their versions, or I should say, packaging of the original Jim Cameron classics is just amazing. I own most of the bluray versions and seen the ones I don't, and some are really neat while some just don't cut it, but these editions just take the cake, at least for me. I love that packaging. First of all, the covers are actually (based on) original theatrical posters, and that's a huge rarity nowadays. There are no bluray or DVD editions now that would feature the theatrical posters, and I'm not counting those with replaced and photoshopped backgrounds or extreme closeups. I wrote "based on", because these are actually artworks done in the same style unifying the two films in these editions even more. They faithfully recreate the theatrical posters down to the cropping and original backgrounds, and even improve on the international poster slightly - some foreign releases had added endoskull to Arnold's face but that endoskull looked almost nothing like the actual Terminator endoskull. Here, it's still added as in foreign posters, but its an accurate representation of one.
There were no other modern releases since VHS that would group the first two films together, so it's really cool to see these two looking like brothers again.

Also, those releases aren't just bluray discs with cool covers. The covers are heavily padded, very soft and book-like for a reason - they are a mini book. The two discs are placed on the inside of the front and back cover, while in between there's a nearly 30 pages long book on making of and impact of the respective film. Unfortunately, it's not in English and it's in German only, but its design and rare pics still make it just as enjoyable, and you can see that in the sample pages I provided. 

The first film I had a bit of a (costly) hassle to get because first of all, it's not sold from US anywhere and the eBay copies are being sold from Germany but they either don't ship to US or ask for around $100. Secondly, the first movie had less printed copies than T2. Fortunately I got it, even tho with a small crack on the plastic disc holder, and here are some pics of this beauty

Terminator 2 edition I had luck with getting from within the US from a website which specializes with foreign special bluray editions. they had it in stock, were great to deal with and I got it in no time, so DiabolikDVD.com is highly recommended by me. Here are some pics of the T2 edition